Postdoctoral Researcher, Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center (2014-Present)
Ph.D. - Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Tulane University (2008-2014)
M.S. - Biology, Portland State University (2005-2008)
B.S. - Fisheries and Wildlife, Michigan State University (1998-2003)
Wintering Ecology Stopover Ecology
Carry-over Effects Seasonal Interactions
Population Dynamics Endangered Species
Postdoctoral Fellow, Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center (2017-present)
Postdoctoral Researcher, Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center (2014-2017)
Predoctoral Fellowship, Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center (2013-2014)
Research Assistantship, Tulane University (2013)
Teaching Assistantship, Tulane University (2008-2012)
Teaching Assistantship, Portland State University (2005-2008)
Research Grants and Competitive Fellowships
National Geographic Long-Distance Animal Migration Grant - $93,900
USFWS Great Lakes Fish and Wildlife Restoration Act - $49,455
Smithsonian Postdoctoral Fellowshiop - $48,000
James Bond Fund - $50,300
USFWS Great Lakes Fish and Wildlife Restoration Act - $103,000
USFWS Upper Mississippi and Great Lakes Region Joint Venture Flex Fund (2015) - $44,000
USFWS Upper Mississippi and Great Lakes Region Joint Venture Flex Fund (2014) - $35,000
Smithsonian Predoctoral Fellowship - $30,500
Tulane University Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award - $200
Tulane Woodrow Wilson Scholarship - $1000
Animal Behavior Society Student Research Award - $500
Forbes-Lea Research Fund - $650
Central Michigan Board of Trustees Scholarship - $2500
10. Cooper, N.W., D.N. Ewert, K.R. Hall, S.M. Rockwell, D. Currie, J.M. Wunderle Jr.,J.D. White and P.P. Marra. In Review. Re-sighting data reveal weak connectivity from wintering to breeding grounds in a range-restricted and endangered long-distance migratory passerine. Avian Conservation and Ecology.
9. Cooper, N.W., M.T. Hallworth, and P.P. Marra. 2017. Light-level geolocation reveals wintering distribution, migratory routes, and primary stopover locations of an endangered long-distance migratory songbird. Journal of Avian Biology. 48:209-219.
8. Chutter, C.M., M.T. Murphy, L.J. Redmond, N.W. Cooper, A.C. Dolan, and D. Duffield. 2016. Paternal behavior in a socially monogamous but sexually promiscuous passerine bird. Behavior .153:443-446.
7. Redmond, L.J., M.T., Murphy, N.W. Cooper, and K.M. O'Reilly. 2016. Testosterone secretion in a socially monogamous but sexually promiscuous migratory passerine. General and Comparative Endocrinology. 228:23-42.
6. Cooper, N.W., P.P. Marra, and T.W. Sherry. 2015. Experimental reduction of winter food decreases body condition and delays migration in a long-distance migratory bird. Ecology. 96:1933-1942.
5. Cooper, N.W., P.P. Marra, and T.W. Sherry. 2014. Modeling three-dimensional space use and overlap in birds. The Auk: Ornithological Advances. 131:681-693.
4. Cooper, N.W., M.A. Thomas, M.B. Garfinkel, K.L. Schneider, and P.P. Marra. 2012. Comparing the precision, accuracy, and efficiency of branch clipping and sweep netting for sampling arthropods in two Jamaican forest types. Journal of Field Ornithology. 83:381-390.
3. Cooper, N.W., M.T. Murphy, and L.J. Redmond, and A.C. Dolan. 2011. Reproductive correlates of spring arrival date in the Eastern Kingbird Tyrannus tyrannus. Journal of Ornithology. 152:143-152.
2. Cooper, N.W., M.T. Murphy, and L.J. Redmond. 2009. Age- and sex-dependent spring arrival dates of Eastern Kingbirds. Journal of Field Ornithology. 80(1):35-41.
1. Cooper, N.W., M.T. Murphy, L.J. Redmond, and A.C. Dolan. 2009. Density-dependent age at first reproduction in the Eastern Kingbird. Oikos. 118:413.419.
Manuscripts in Preparation
Cooper, N.W., D.N. Ewert, J.M. Wunderle, Jr., and P.P. Marra. In Preperation. Revising the wintering range, distribution, and habitat preferences of the Kirtland’s Warbler using data from citizen-scientists, playback surveys, and light-level geolocators.
Redmond L.J., M.T. Murphy N.W. Cooper, A.C. Dolan, and K. O’Reilly. In Prep. Covariates of reproductive success among male Eastern Kingbirds.
American Ornithologists' Union and Cooper Ornithological Society Meeting - Experimental reduction of winter food decreases body condition and delays migration in a long-distance migratory bird.
Oral Presentation (2014)
American Ornithologists' Union and Cooper Ornithological Society Meeting - Analyzing movement and tracking data in birds via utilization distributions: Now in 3D!
Oral Presentation (2013)
International Ornithological Conference - Does the mate opportunity hypothesis explain protandry in the Eastern Kingbird? - Symposium: Why do males arrive before females in Spring? Proximate and ultimate causes of protandry, and its response to environmental change.
Oral Presentation (2010)
American Ornithologists' Union and Cooper Ornithological Society Meeting - Density-dependent age at first reproduction in the Eastern Kingbird.
Oral Presentation (2008)
American Ornithologists' Union Meeting - Does the Early Bird Really Get the Worm?
Teaching and Mentoring Experience
Ecology - Laboratory Instructor, Tulane University (2008-2012)
- Lectured weekly on research design, data collection, data analysis, scientific writing
- Led multiple trips into the field to collect data
- Assessed students understanding via multiple scientific papers each year
Principles of Biology - Laboratory Instructor, Portland State University (2005-2008)
- Gave short lectures introducing lab topics each week
- Supervised students in self-led lab exercises in cell biology, animal and plant diversity, and animal physiology
- Helped develop and refine several lab exercises
Redstart Research Project - Field Project Leader, Jamaica (2009-2013)
- Oversaw all field activities related to NSF funded Long Term Research in Biology (LTREB) project
- Mentored LTREB manager
- Mentored 29 undergraduates in data collection, data entry, professional development
American Ornithologists Union - Serving on Young Professionals Committee (2014 - present)
Cooper Ornithological Society - Served on Mewaldt-King Student Research Awards Review Committee (2014)
The Auk: Ornithological Advances - Reviewed manuscripts
Journal of Avian Biology - Reviewed manuscripts
Additional Research Experience
United States Forest Service, New Orleans, LA - Urban Plant Surveyor (2011, 2013)
University of Cambridge, Canberra, Australia - Grey Fantail Research Assistant (2004)
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, Barro Colorado Island, Panama - Bat Technician (2004)
Utah Division Wildlife Resources, Salt Lake City, UT - Point Counter and Bird Bander (2003)
University of Washington, Forks, WA - Nest Searcher (2002)
Iowa State University, Washington, IA - Grassland Songbird Field Assistant (2001)